Health Benefits of Yoga in Daily Life
Weight loss, a strong and flexible body, glowing beautiful skin, peaceful mind, good health – whatever you may be looking for, yoga has it on offer. However, very often, yoga is only partially understood as being limited to asanas (yoga poses). As such, its benefits are only perceived to be at the body level and we fail to realize the immense benefits yoga offers in uniting the body, mind and breath. When you are in harmony, the journey through life is calmer, happier and more fulfilling.
1. Yoga for all-round fitness. Yogasana (postures), pranayama (breathing techniques) and meditation are a holistic fitness package. The benefits accrued by being a regular practitioner are numerous. Some very discernible ones are: Improves health, Gives mental strength, Improves physical strength, Protection from injury, Detoxifies the body
2. Yoga for weight loss. Perform everyday 12-20 rounds of Sun Salutations and practice Kapalbhati to help lose weight. Moreover, with regular practice of yoga, we tend to become more sensitive to the kind of food our body asks for and the time we take. This can also help keep a check on our weight.
3. Yoga for stress relief. A few minutes of yoga during the day can be a great way to get rid of stress that accumulates daily – in both the body and mind. Yoga postures, pranayama and meditation are effective techniques to release stress.
4. Yoga for inner peace. A quiet Yoga Nidra practice is one of the best ways to calm a disturbed mind and helps in achieving the inner peace.
5. Yoga to improve immunity. Human system is a seamless blend of the body, mind, and spirit. An irregularity in the body affects the mind and similarly, unpleasantness or restlessness in the mind can manifest as an ailment in the body. Yoga postures massage organs and strengthens muscles; breathing techniques and meditation release stress and improve immunity.
6. Yoga to live with mindfulness. Yogasana, pranayama and dhyana develops natural awareness and keeps the mind into the present moment, where it stays happy and focused.
7. Yoga for quality relationships. Yoga can even help improve your relationship with your family, friends, and all the loved ones! A calm mind is able to deal with sensitive relationship better. Yoga and meditation keeps the mind happy and blissful.
8. Yoga for flexibility & strength. Yoga must become part of your daily routine to get a body that is strong, supple and flexible. Regular yoga practice, stretches and tones the body muscles and also makes them strong. It also helps improve your body posture when you stand, sit, sleep or walk. This would, in turn, help relieve you of body pain due to incorrect posture.
Remember, yoga is a continuous process. So keep practicing! The deeper you go into your yoga practice, the more profound will be its benefits.
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained
In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor under the supervision of a competent Yoga teacher.